Monday, May 17, 2010

I arrive at the airport

in San Jose, Costa Rica, shaken but in one piece, and I am warmly greeted by our family friend Edgar V, with his daughter, AnaLara.  We drive in heavy rain and wind to their beautiful home in San Ramon,  where I will stay for a few days before my class starts and get a chance to adjust to the time change.
The next day we visit the town of Sarchi, and take a tour of a nearby coffee plantation.  This was extremely helpful in my understanding of how Costa Rica is striving towards sustainable coffee and cocao farming practices; practices that will keep its one natural resource, the jungle, alive and well, keeping its tourist industry booming with adventure and beauty seekers coming from around the world, and thereby its economy flowing.
I was also treated to the best meal I was to have in Costa Rica.  Edgar took me to his mother's home, to join his family and friends to celebratre his grandmother's 91st birthday.  His mother and father once owned restaurants and the food she prepared was plentiful as it was delicious. I ate many plates of food, each filled with new and unique dishes. The food, the numerous family and friends who flowed in and out of this home left me exhausted but happy, and it gave me my first glimpse into the hospitality of the people of Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment